Friday 18 March 2011

Thirties Love

Has anyone else watched the recent BBC drama 'South Riding'?

 I was absolutely enthralled by it. I thought that the costumes were delightful - each character beautifully captured in the nuances and idiosyncracies of their style.

Anna Maxwell-Martin was fabulous in the lead role - as always - and I could just dive into her character (Sarah Burton)'s wardrobe and live there! Mostly for the hats!



I particularly loved the opening sequence of the series that cast her character perfectly as a vibrant, sophisticated, alluring yet simultaneously naive young woman come straight from the colourful and modern city of london, against the gloomy, grey and claustrophobic small community in Yorkshire. 
 That red suit. The hat. The gloves. The suitcase. Perfect.
 

It has reminded me how much I love other heroines of dramas set in the 1930s era .
Kristen Scott Thomas in Gosford Park: The chicest woman ever


Androgony has never looked so cool...
 

Keeley Hawes in Upstairs Downstairs 
(Actually I'd happily look like any of the cast of this, all beautiful in different ways):

Emily Mortimer in 'Bright Young Things'

And, I could go on... I just love 1930s costumes... sigh...
I just wish I had the slinky silhouette needed to carry them off!

But the BBC is spoiling me it would seem! A new thirties one-off drama this week; 'Christopher and His Kind'. Woohoo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment